Wednesday 16 January 2013

Protective Style 1: Braiding My Hair

So a few weeks back (ok, last year!) I put on the facebook page that I had braided my hair and mentioned that details would be coming soon... so here goes.

As you know i recently big chopped, and was getting comfortable in my little finger coil-outs. However one of my cousin was getting married  over December, and she really wanted us (bridesmaids) to have sort of uniformed long hair, the original thought being weaves.... I was like wow.. I have never put a weave on my head!!! I told her I would opt for braids instead and luckly she agreed.

I went to an old saloonist who actually didnt bother me when I told her I didn't want my hair straightened I just wanted it braided as it was. (I think she was stuck in shock that I actually cut my hair as she asked me severally why I had done it when I had "really good hair" - lol!) My hair was braided perfectly and I loved the outcome.


So yes, a week to the wedding I braided my hair and while at first I really wasn't sure about it am glad that I braided, I loved how the braids came out and rocked them at the wedding.

Work was stressful for a while and having the braids sort of reduced my hair worries and left time for work so that was another plus. I had the braids for only 5weeks and not 6 as I had planned. I was not sure I could pull it off though as my hair was not straightened before braiding, and it being short it really had fuzzy ends which tend to pop out of the braids... lol.


I love braids as they are a great go to protective style, however their limitation is that you cant put them in for long so as to avoid breakage. In coming posts I will be sharing on how I took care of my hair in braids so stay tuned.

5 TIPS BEFORE BRAIDING YOUR NATURAL HAIR.

Here are some tips that I used before braiding and are recommended for natural hair.

1. Detangle your hair -ensure that prior to braiding your hair is well detangled. You can use detangling shampoos or conditioners or use essential oils such as coconut and run your fingers through your hair ensuring no tangles and also run a wide tooth comb.
2. Deep condition your hair so as to give it strength and added moisture before braiding. Braids can really suck out moisture from your hair. Ensure you deep condition at least a day before braiding. If you suffer excess frizz do a protein treatment.
3. Depending on the sensitivity of your scalp or past experiences, if you tend to get an itchy flaky scalp after braiding, rinse the braids in apple cedar vinegar mix solution, then put them out to hang before braiding them.
4. Ensure you choose a proper salonist. This is key to good braids. Good braids should not be so tight that it hurts to open your eyes, shake your head, you have a rash brake out.. No, they really shouldn't!
5. Choose braids which wont be too heavy for your hair. As previously mentioned African hair is the most fragile hair, thus always ensure that the braids you put on your hair are not heavy than your hair as this will lead to breakage.



Live, Love, Laugh
It’s Only Natural
NATURAL TOTO

No comments:

Post a Comment