Thursday 31 January 2013

HAIRSPIRATION: JOANNE BALL-BURGESS

Hello Lovelies,

Today we feature the beautiful and immensely talented lady, Joanne. You might recognize her from Kenya's biggest dance show SAKATA where she was a judge. This beautiful naturalista gave a breath of freshness to the show. Being a fellow Natural Toto, I wanted to know more about her and of course her beautiful hair.




Hello,

Thank you for agreeing to be featured in Natural Toto blog, I appreciate your time and willingness to be featured.
1. Tell us a little bit about yourself, who you are what you do/involved in? 

I am a Bermudian born and raised. I am used to living near the beach and seeing hibiscus flowers every day. I've also lived in the US and in Israel where my children were born. My family and I have lived in Kenya for a year now.
I do a lot of things. Mainly I am a singer, dancer, history teacher, writer and author of two children’s books called, “The Lizard and the Rock and “The Priceless Hogg Penny”. Some of my most favorite moments were facilitating dance and movement workshops for Sudanese refugees in Cyprus and in Egypt for Orthodox Egyptian women who wanted a safe space to freely move as well as learn new technique. More recently, I am a judge on the popular, Kenyan, dance show called, Sakata.

2. How long have you been natural? 
I've been natural for 8 years now
3. What made you decide to wear your hair natural?
Back in 2004 I decided to become healthier. I've had problems with my hormones for years and decided that if I ever want d to have a child (which the doctors said was doubtful) then I needed to take responsibility for my health. As I began to switch to organic food, organic skin products, yoga and alternative medicine to assist my healing I found tons of information about perms and what the chemicals do to a woman's fertility. This is when I decided to 'go natural'.
4. What has the journey being like for you?
Going natural has been a journey of discovering my own beauty and the beauty of other African women and women of African descent. As an adult I have come to love my kinky hair and the amazing nature that it has. I don’t look like the European women in magazines and this is OK  I am more comfortable being me and feel beautiful whether I am wearing heals (which is rarely) or in slippers.
My husband was there with me when I did the “big chop” and has experienced the journey with me of loving natural beauty. Now my children also love their hair and who they are.

5. What is your regimen like?
My hair regimen has changed over the years with not having as much time on my hands nowadays so to speak. I usually twist it, apply a mix of conditioner and essential oils at night to the twists and within a week or two I wear twist outs. I love to make my own gels, conditioner and hair treatments as well. I also like to pin the twists up as protective style. When I am ready I wash and do a deep treatment and begin the process again. I get a trim every 6-8 weeks.
6. How is your hair perceived in your field of work? Do you face any challenges?
My hair has been a plus in every field of work that I have been in. I love it when I meet little girls and they say, “Mom, she has hair like mine.” 
Women in Bermuda and in the US have been natural for years so it’s nothing new. In fact, it’s against the law to discriminate against someone because of their appearance. I actually find it hard to think that we are discussing this question in 2012 but I do realize that there is a lot of discrimination in Kenya for women over this subject. It is strange that in a country where the majority of the people are black, it is “acceptable” to look as white as possible in the workplace buy the type of clothes that one wears and the way that they wear their hair. I always ask people to imagine a bunch of Japanese people feeling like they needed to wear Afros to work to look ‘acceptable’. The thought usually conjures up laughter as they thought is quite silly. Then I respond, “Well, that’s the way you look wearing white people’s hair when going to work.”

7. You are from West Indies, What brought you to Kenya and how do you like it so far?
I am of West Indian descent but I am Bermudian. I came to Kenya because of my husband who works as a consultant in poverty reduction through sustainable agricultural practices. So far Kenyan is the easiest place that I have lived in outside of my home. There are many things about the culture that are familiar to me because of my heritage having retained some African ways but there are also a lot of cultural nuances that are difficult for me to understand.
8. What do you think of the natural scene back home as compared to Kenya?
Like I mentioned in an earlier comment, women in Bermuda have been wearing their hair natural for years. Some still perm their hair and others don’t but it’s not a strange occurrence. Bermudians who decide to go natural feel that they are embracing their African roots (no pun intended) and exploring more of who they are past and present. It was quite a shock to come here and find over 95% of the women wearing braids, wigs or weave. People have even asked me where I ‘buy’ my hair. I feel like Kenya has a really long way to go in discovering (or rediscovering) just ‘what’ their hair is and how it shrinks and coils. 

9. What is your favorite natural hair style and why?
My favorite hairstyle is the twist-out. 
10. What do you love most about your hair?
My hair has small, corkscrew curls that wind around each other so I never really know how long my hair is. I am fine with the mystery of my hair in that way and treasure my shrinkage as respect to my African ancestors.
11. What do you hate most about your hair?
My hair is very delicate and can break off easily.
12. Any natural hair advice?
My best hair advice is to love your hair and to love yourself. Hair is like a finger print so be willing to discover yours and which products work for you. You are beautiful and sexy with the hair that grows out of your head. All hair is 'good hair'.

Isn't she just amazing and inspiring... I think everything she said resonates very much with me and I hope it does with you! If you would like to know much more about Joanne or get to know what she is up to, follow her blog www.ballburgessadventures.blogspot.com or like her FACEBOOK page.


Live, Love, Laugh
It’s Only Natural
NATURAL TOTO

No comments:

Post a Comment